About the Z6SBKW/G5RV:
- In the mid-1980s, Brian Austin (ZS6BKW) ran computer analysis to develop an antenna system that would permit a low Standing Wave Ratio (SWR) for the maximum number of HF bands possible without an antenna tuner to interface with, and a 50-Ohm coaxial cable as the main feed line. He identified a range of lengths which, when combined with a matching ladder line length, would provide this characteristic.
- According to an acknowledged expert in computer antenna design and modeling, L. B. Cebik: “Of all the G5RV antenna system cousins, the ZS6BKW antenna system has come closest to achieving the goal that is part of the G5RV mythology: a multi-band HF antenna consisting of a single wire and simple matching system to cover as many of the amateur HF bands as possible.”
- Published on May 13, 2012 in Amateur Radio and Radio Antennas: "Are you a fan of the G5RV antenna? Then you may be interested in the ZS6BKW antenna. The ZS6BKW antenna is an optimized variant of the venerable old G5RV. The G5RV antenna (c. 1946) was designed by Louis Varney (G5RV, SK). The ZS6BKW (early 1980's) was derived from the G5RV by Brian Austin (G0GSF, formerly ZS6BKW). He developed computer programs that were used in conjunction with Smith charts to calculate the optimum dimensions for his variant of the antenna. Read G0GSF's own article about the antenna."
In summary, the ZS6BKW antenna is an optimized variant of the venerable old G5RV. Unlike the original G5RV, which requires an antenna tuner on all bands, the ZS6BKW / G5RV is capable of operating on 10, 12, 17, 20 & 40m bands, generally without a tuner, and with SWR readings usually at 1.5:1 or less.
Using a tuner, 6, 15, 30 & 80m bands are attained with much higher efficiency than the original G5RV.
Each Antenna is handmade to order with materials carefully tested & selected by Ni4L for quality & durability:
HIGH STRENGTH AERIAL WIRES
Poly-STEALTH ™ High Strength Aerial Wires are manufactured with high strength, high conductivity Bare Copper-Clad Steel (BCCS) and insulated with a high quality UV Resistant Polyethylene to provide you with one of the strongest and longest lasting antenna wires on the market today.
The strongest wire of the group is ideal for the longest of wire runs with or without additional support.Advantages to Poly-STEALTH ™ High Strength Aerial Wires:
Ideal balance of strength and flexibility
Low-Gloss finish and small size makes wire disappear into the background
Superior abrasion resistance for running through trees
UV & Weather resistant for use on the seacoast or in other harsh environments subjected to acid rain, high wind, or high snow and ice loads.
- FLEXI 420-OHM LADDER LINE #16 AWG: (40') 2 #16 AWG; 19/29 strands Cu-clad with black poly jacket. Nominal OD .065 x .930; Extra flexible & less likely to break in the wind. Nominal impedance 420(ohms); VP 91.7%. Good for -20oC to +60oC degrees;
- W2AU LL-TRANSULATOR: is the latest configuration of the very popular W2AU ANsulator. Using the same body design, the traditional eyebolt design on the sides has been replaced with Stainless Steel bolts, washers, and nut assemblies. Like the W2AU ANsulator, it has a built-in lightning arrestor with 600 lbs. of pull-apart strength, in a weatherized, rugged package;
- Ladder-Loc™ Center insulator: The Ladder-Loc ™ is a strain-relief and mounting support for 450-ohm ladder-line. It is UV-stabilized and has a proven field record of durability. Over 15,000 have been shipped to satisfied users;
- SS hardware;
- Two small end insulators.
Hanging the Z6SBKW/G5RV:
The ZS6BKW/ G5RV is completely assembled and ready to hang.
It requires about 92’ of space and should be hung around 40’ high or higher.
It can be hung in a flat top or inverted V configuration.
Unlike Windom and OCF Dipoles, the ZS6BKW / G5RV is a very forgiving antenna when it comes to nearby towers, trees, fences and other structures.
As with all models of the G5RV antenna, the Optimized version also requires a minimum of 70 feet of 50-52 ohm coax to complete the matching network. Without this 70 foot of coax, the antenna will NOT function correctly.
Reviews Hide Reviews
The newversionof G5RV antenna
I find this extended version of the famous G5RV antenna to be really a good antenna. with some more experimenting it could possibly be fully extended to not need an antenna tuner at all.William/AD0GB
NIce product - eager to get it up in the air.
Very well constructed.